Trying to absorb all the marketing messages we see each day is a little bit like trying to drink for a fire hydrant!
There is just so much going on. So is it easier or more difficult to get your marketing right these days? Here's what I think:
Why it's more difficult:
1) The power has shifted to the consumer - traditional selling doesn't work anymore because the consumer has all the info, choice, leverage and options available to them.
2) There are so many ways to reach people - confusing enough to realise just how many social media channels as well as traditional media is available, then add really getting into the shoes of your prospect and working out what time of the year, month, week, day, hour and with what message you will resonate with - work that algorithm out!
3) Too many "experts" - I learned brand and marketing when there were no computers, no apps or shortcuts, you had to really know what you were doing, now anyone can call themselves 'marketing consultants' and lots of business owners get sucked in, waste money and get no-where.
4) The need for speed - interactivity with brands and clients is so fast, mobile and 'Now' it's almost impossible to keep up - especially while you are trying to run a business. Just as soon as you finish that website/GoogleAd campaign/pinterest board - there is something new out or the rules change!
Why it's easier than ever:
1) Targeting - why would you use shot-gun strategy today, what a waste of time and money, when you can pin-point exactly who you want to reach - efficient and great ROI
2) Test & Measure - the ability to know within minutes if a campaign is working or not and tweak or pull it and replace it with a new idea is totally brilliant! Add to that the research and reporting on everything you do - the power of data!
3) Abundance - Peter Diamandis is the hero of this lesson - we are living in a time where ANYONE, can create ANYTHING and turn it into a BRAND that sells all over the WORLD. Launch something new, start a movement, lead a cause, solve the worlds problems...Go for it!
I believe that as long as you know the basics, have plenty of passion and a fire in your belly you can do what previously was only possible if you had corporate level funding and systems.
It's a very, very exciting time to be helping people develop their own brands and marketing!